Holidays are an exciting time for children and families. Many holidays include gifts, food and new traditions to explore. Here are some simple tips you can use to help keep young children safe.
- Keep candies, nuts and other snack foods that could be a choking hazard out of reach of small children.
- Keep visitors’ belongings out of reach. They may have items in their luggage that are a safety risk for small children.
- Clean up after holiday parties. Small children may rise early and get into leftover food, tobacco or alcohol.
Toys and Gifts
- Follow the age recommendations on all games and toys.
- For children under age 3, avoid toys with long strings or chords and buy toys large enough that they cannot pass through the tube of a toilet paper roll.
- Throw away all plastic bags and other packaging materials.
- Make sure new toys have new batteries that are secure.
- Avoid using decorations that are small or have removable parts to prevent children from choking.
- Use flame-resistant and lead-free decorations
- Keep lit candles out of reach of children. Never leave lit candles unattended.
- If you use a live tree, add water daily. Anchor live or artificial trees to prevent them from tipping over.
- Place trees away from traffic areas and heat sources.
These are just a few tips the help make your Holiday a fun and safe time with family and friends.