Bullying is a major problem in many schools and communities, and children in Kansas foster care are not immune. It’s important for parents and other caregivers to learn more about how to help children who are being bullied by protecting them, increasing their confidence and helping them develop positive peer relationships. Below are some strategies for stopping bullying when it is happening.
- Intervene immediately. It is ok to get another adult to help.
- Separate the kids involved.
- Make sure everyone is safe.
- Meet any immediate medical or mental health needs.
- Stay calm. Reassure the kids involved, including bystanders.
- Model respectful behavior when you intervene.
For additional information about bullying, visit www.stopbullying.gov.
Interested in ways you can improve your child’s behavior? Download this free guide to learn how to get your child to better follow directions!